George Gerrish working on the restoration of the Maud Heath Monument, Bremhill, in 1936. The monument itself was erected in 1838, and at its summit carries a statue of the 15th Century landowner Maud Heath. Maud comissioned the laying of a causeway between Wick, (Bremhill), and Chippenham. This route is allegedly one she took herself regularly, to sell her eggs at Chippenham market. Upon her death in 1474, Maud left a sum of money and instructions to a local trust to lay the path, in order to make the journey to market easier for residents of the nearby villages.
Image courtesy of the Wilson Photographic collection - Chippenham Museum.