Charles Henry Talbot was the only son of William Henry Fox Talbot, and inherited Lacock on his father’s death in 1877.
He never married and was a recluse, preferring to spend his time studying. His great interests were in history and archaeology and he did extensive research on the history of the Lacock buildings, Lacock itself and its residents. His love of antiquary and the quiet life meant that he accumulated a great deal of knowledge about his family and his family home, related families and documents. He also took an interest in the abbey itself and did some restoration work on the monastic parts of the house with the architect Sir Harold Brakspear.