At The Sign of the Angel

on Thursday, 25 June 2015. Posted in Lacock Village, Public Houses

At The Sign of the Angel

From the architecture we know that the Angel Inn was built in the late 15th century, probably as an inn. This was a time when the wool trade was flourishing and the property is believed to have converted into a wool merchant’s house in the 16th and 17th centuries. It has one of the finest examples of a ‘horse passage’ in the village. The name is derived from the gold coin known as an angel.

The earliest record I have been able to find for the Angel at Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre is this list of licensed victuallers in the Quarter Sessions archives from 1745.

Licensed Victuallers of The Angel

The property is included on the 1764 map of the Lacock estate and is marked 445 on its accompanying survey.

2664 - 1764 map of Lacock - close up Angel 2

This shows that Martha Bramham was the tenant in 1764.

 1764 survey

 

The archive includes a bill for 1000 bricks for the Angel dated 1792, which shows repairs being carried out, and the Angel is also mentioned in a carpenter’s account book of 1809-10 which describes work to the pig sty and the stable roof, but despite this work the property was described as “very dilapidated” in 1817.

Bill for Bricks in 1792
From at least 1837-1853 the Angel was in the hands of James Blackham and his wife Honour, and was in operation as a public house. However the next available trade directory, for 1867, does not include the inn, and it went into private use for the next few decades. In 1911 it is recorded on the census as a shop occupied by Mr Barnett and family.
By 1939 it had become a guest house and today it has reverted to its origins as an inn, combined with a hotel.  It has also starred in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as the Babberton Arms.

 

Claire Skinner

Principal Archivist