An enormous family pedigree was recently deposited with the History Centre. It relates to the Awdry family, the Wiltshire branch particularly connected with the Seend and Melskham area. Indeed, we hold a collection for the “Awdry family of Seend and Melksham” under collection ref 78 and “Awdry family of Melksham” ref 109. Rev. John Awdry (baptised 1607 and died 1637) was curate at Seend from 1629 and at Melksham from 1631. His entry on the pedigree reads “universally lamented curate of Melksham… married 1631 to Katherine daughter of William Tipper of Seen b1635 and buried at Seend”.
The family produced other members of the clergy including Rev. Charles Henry Awdry (1811-1903) who was curate at Grittleton 1836-1856 and vicar at Kington St Michael between 1886-1889, noted on the pedigree as a ‘Wiltshire archaeologist’. An earlier Rev. Charles Awdry (1784-1840) was also curate at Kington St Michael in 1812. William Awdry (1842-1910), son of Sir John Wither Awdry, was appointed Bishop of Osaka in 1896, and installed as Bishop of South Tokyo in 1897 where he was instrumental in founding the Central Theological College in Tokyo. In 1868 he married Frances Emily (1844-1921), sixth daughter of Rt. Rev. George Moberly, bishop of Salisbury.
William’s brother Charles Awdry (1847-1912), a senior partner in W.H. Smith & Son and a High Sheriff of Wiltshire (1901) married Margaret Helen in 1876, the eighth daughter of Moberley, bishop of Salisbury. They lived at Shaw between 1890-1906 and at Market Lavington 1908-12. Charles inherited Notton House, Lacock from his father and had let the house by 1890, living in Shaw Hill and East Lavington Manor. His wife Margaret built Hawkswell at Little Cheverell between 1913-19 and we hold the architects plans within a collection of Humberts of Chippenham, Surveyors and Land Agents (ref 1794/33HC Hawkswell House, Little Cheverell, for Mrs. Awdry (23). 1915)


Ref 1794/33HC
Two members of the family on the pedigree are also of note for very different reasons.

One you are likely already familiar with: Wilbert Vere Awdry 1911-1989, Anglican vicar, son of Vere Awdry, another son of Sir John Wither Awdry, is noted on the pedigree as “writer of the Three Engines children’s books”. The Three Railway Engines was his first book published in 1945, inspired – like so many other children’s classics – by stories told to his son, Christopher, who requested more stories about the engine named Thomas. Thomas the Tank Engine was published in 1946. A biography of Wilbert Awdry by Brian Sibley can be found in the Local Studies Library under AAA.921 in which he describes the family’s move to Box in 1917. They lived at “Journey’s End” (remaining until 1928) which was only 200 yards from the end of Box Tunnel. According to Sibley’s book a banking engine was kept there to assist freight trains up the hill. They would usually run at night, and Christopher would hear the whistle signals between the train engine and the banker as well as the locomotive exhausts from his bed. Wilbert Awdry died in 1997 at 30 Rodborough Avenue, Stroud, Gloucestershire, and in October this year Historic England unveiled a blue plaque on the property.
Robert William Awdry 1881-1949 CBE was a bacon manufacturer who was an officer in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, serving in the First World War and later as Colonel, commanding the regiment. He was also High Sheriff of Wiltshire (1928), a member of Wiltshire County Council 1919-49 (its chairman 1946-49) as well as first chairman of the Wiltshire Victoria County History Committee, 1947-49.
We are fortunate to have a large number of documents relating to his time in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry including order books for “B” Squadron from May to July 1917 (refs 3560/3/15-22 ex. 3560/3/20), a photograph album mostly of groups of officers, compiled by Awdry, with captions. It includes King Edward VII’s visit to Bowood, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry at Chippenham Station, the Prince of Wales’ inspection at Wilton camp, 1923, a camp at Savernake Forest, 1924, a church parade of Bowood, 1925, and sergeants’ mess at Bowood, 1925 (ref 3560/6/21BW). Other of his papers include correspondence about the Prince of Wales’s visit to Wilton, battle honours, regimental activities, the Tidworth Tattoo, and regimental and daily orders for training camps, standing orders and a Church Parade Service (1882/36).

Ref: 3150/2/21BW
Ref 982/149
The papers of Edith Olivier include a letter from Awdry at Eastcroft House, Devizes dated 16 Sep 1944 in which he gives advice to Edith on how the Town Council of Wilton could proceed in trying to recover a site from the Americans while acknowledging that “I must be careful not express opinions upon or become embroiled with that famous body the Town of Wilton”.
The pedigree has been catalogued under reference 4796.
Naomi Oakley, Archivist
Documents of interest:
1794/33HC Hawkswell House, Little Cheverell, for Mrs. Awdry (23). 1915)
982/149 Letter from R.W. Awdry at Eastcroft House, Devizes Advice to Edith on how the Town Council of Wilton could proceed in trying to recover a site from the Americans. 16 Sep 1944
F4/400/47 Colonel Awdry 1933-1949 [Wiltshire County Council: County Surveyor’s department correspondence]
3560/3/15-22 (except 3560/3/20) Field Service Correspondence book used by Major R W Awdry as an order book for “B” Squadron. May-July 1917 to Aug-Sept 1917
3560/6/21BW
Photograph album mostly of groups of officers, compiled and given by R W Awdry, with captions. Includes King Edward VII’s visit to Bowood, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry at Chippenham Station, Squadron at Aldershot, 1915, County trek in lieu of camp, 1926, Prince of Wales’ inspection at Wilton camp, 1923, camp at Savernake Forest, 1924, church parade of Bowood, 1925, sergeants’ mess at Bowood, 1925, camp at Muntham Court, West Sussex, 1936, commission of R W Awdry, 1902, Christmas cards 1939, 1941. 1902-1941
1882/36 Col. R. W. Awdry’s papers, including correspondence about the Prince of Wales’s visit to Wilton, battle honours, regimental activities, the Tidworth Tattoo, and regimental and daily orders for training camps, standing orders, 1903, 1922 and Church Parade Service, c.1905. 1921-1937
Share this post
About Us
Research Tools
What We Do
Contact us
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Cocklebury Road
Chippenham
SN15 3QN
E: heritageadmin@wiltshire.gov.uk
T: 01249 705500






